Thursday, February 25, 2010

< equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

Fast Food and Obesity in Children


Brownell, Kelly D. "Fast Food and Obesity in Children." Pediatrics in Review. American Academy of Pediatrics, 2004. Web. 24 Feb. 2010. .


This article showed the point of fast food not being the reason America has gained weight, like this one, "... soft drinks do not cause pediatric obesity, do not reduce nutrient intake, and do not cause dental cavities in children." But, the interesting thing is that it also pointed out some poignant facts that said other wise. Like the one here, "the number of meals eaten outside the home has increased dramatically6 (the restaurant industry accounted for 46.1% of every food dollar in 1999, up from 25% in 1955; 40% of American adults eat at a restaurant in a typical day7)" These facts are useful to my paper as it can give me the opposing side to my film, making it a stronger case. I think I am going to put the information in a paragraph of it's own to really give the opposing side a fighting chance, but crush it in the end. I noticed that the further I read into the article the more clear it became it was countering the statements that support it, but I can still use the sources for the "pro-fast food" statements as references in my paper.


Social & Cultural Geography

Guthman, Julie. "Social & Cultural Geography, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2003." Social & Cultural Geography. Vol. Vol. 4. Routledge, 2003. Print.


This article really goes in depth in the argument of Fast Food vs. Organic Food. But, what makes it important is the fact that it is more towards the pro- organic food side, which will most likely be the core of my paper. I feel that facts like, "...Earthbound Farms continued to grow at a rate of at least 50 percent a year until 1995..." and "Over the course of five years, organic salad mix had gone from a specialty commodity selling for over $12 per pound at retail, to just a commodity at $4 per pound." Which shows the small aspects that go into the over all food problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment